The 1820s saw the maturation of cartographic publishing in the United States, heralding the “Golden Age of American Cartography”.1 Atlas publishers in the first years of this era included, Carey & Lea, Fielding Lucas, Henry Tanner, and Anthony Finley.
Image courtesy of David Rumsey
The above map of North Carolina was published in the 1824 first edition of Anthony Finley’s A New General Atlas Comprising a Complete Set of Maps… Continue reading →
A small map published in late 1795 holds a special place of distinction in North Carolina’s cartographic history. Occacock from Actual Survey. By I. Price 1795 was the very first map drawn, engraved, and printed in North Carolina.*
Tuesday evening, 7:15 p.m., September 13, 2016 – Chapel Hill, NC. Join us for Claude Joseph Sauthier: his life and activity in North Carolina, by independent scholar and author, Stewart Dunaway. This presentation will review Sauthier’s life activity from his childhood home of Strasbourg, France to North Carolina, New York, and England. Mr. Dunaway will describe Sauthier’s roles at Tryon Palace, during the War of the Regulation, and during the American Revolution. A brief review of Sauthier’s ten town maps of North Carolina will be presented. Mr. Dunaway will bring high resolution color facsimiles of all of Sauthier’s town maps for viewing after the presentation. This presentation provides a sampling from Mr. Dunaway’s recent book, Claude J. Sauthier and his maps of North Carolina – An interpretive Guide.
Mary Morrow, a long-time WPCMS member and map collector, will get the program started at 7:15 p.m. with a glimpse into the world of map collecting and a display of some of her favorite maps. Please join us in the auditorium at Carolina Meadows. A reception will follow the presentations.
If you are using a GPS device to find Carolina Meadows, enter the following address:
100 Whippoorwill Lane, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
If you plan to attend, please let us know via the “What’s on your mind?” comment box below so that we can plan for the reception accordingly.
The old axiom, “good things come in small packages”, certainly holds true in maps. There are some miniature maps of Carolina that are adorable. Let’s take a look at a few maps of the Carolinas that measure no more than four inches. Continue reading →
William Churton (1710 – c1767/8) was one of the pre-eminent surveyors in North Carolina during the 18th century. Unfortunately, very little is known about him. He was born in London on April 5, 1710. He was in North Carolina by 1749, but when he arrived is unknown. His professional career in North Carolina predominantly pertained to surveying tracts of land in the Granville District. At the time of his death (late 1767 or early 1768), William Churton had nearly completed a map of North Carolina. Circumstances of Churton’s death and the fate of his manuscript map remain mysteries to us. Continue reading →
Sunday, May 22, 2016, at 3 pm – Chapel Hill, NC Mapping Orange County: Land Grants, Early Travel Routes, and the Native Trading Path. A Talk by Mark Chilton
Mark Chilton’s work on mapping the original land grants of Orange County will show where important early figures in county history lived, how people traveled by road, ferry, ford, and bridge, and where the great Native Trading Path was. Starting with the work of Allen Markham of some fifty years ago, Chilton has broadened Markham’s perspective on the Orange County historical record.
Fielding Lucas Jr. first advertised an “Elegant New Atlas” as published and for sale on 10 February 1814, claiming, “There being now no other genuine Modern Atlas of the United States, nor any other likely to be had for some time to come –“. He was half correct. Continue reading →
This post provides an updated cartobibliography for a Bellin map, Carte de la Caroline et Georgie, first published in 1757. William P. Cumming described two states of one plate (Cumming, Southeast in Early Maps, #311). Ashley Baynton-Williams lists one state each for two plates in his Carolina checklist (MapForum #95, #96). Both deserve partial credit. There are, in fact, maps from two separate plates, with one state of Plate 1, and two states of Plate 2.
The History and Re-survey of North Carolina’s Southern Boundary
Stephen R. Kelly, author of “The Boundary Hunters: Uncovering North Carolina’s Lost Borders” (The Atlantic) and “How the Carolinas Fixed Their Blurred Lines” (New York Times), will discuss the historical background of the boundary between the two Carolinas, and the current status of the recent re-survey to determine its true location. Prior to Mr. Kelly’s presentation, Jay Lester, author of the North Carolina Map Blog, will give a brief introduction to the variety and frequently peculiar cartographic shapes of the Carolinas. Shelia Bumgarner, librarian in the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room at the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, will have a fascinating selection of 19th century regional maps available for viewing and study. Among these treasures are maps of local gold mines.
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2016
(Lectures 10:30am-12noon; map viewing available
prior to and following the lectures.) Location: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library – Dowd Learning Room 310 North Tryon St. Charlotte, NC 28202 Phone: 704-416-0150
Determining the origins of unusual place names found on early maps of Carolina is a fun, and perhaps nerdy, exercise. Some, such as Lockwood Folly, have interesting, and sometimes obscure, historical origins. Others, like Murder and Surveyor’s Ferry, have their origin in copying errors by cartographers and/or engravers. What about Reckoned, on the Catawba River at the current site of Fort Mill, SC? Continue reading →
This year marks the 250th anniversary of the founding of Salem, North Carolina. Richard Starbuck, archivist with the Moravian Archives in Winston-Salem, will present a lunch-time lecture, Mapping Salem, at 12:15pm, on Thursday, January 14. The lecture will be in the Spaugh Lecture/Recital Hall of the Archie K. Davis Center. You’re welcome to bring your lunch! Although the street address is S. Church Street, the parking lot is accessed from E. Salem Avenue. The extended forecast looks promising, but should inclement weather develop, call the Moravian Archives, 722-1742 or 725-0651, to see if the lecture is still “on”.